Monday, January 10, 2011

basic pasta dough



After months of battling nerves, I finally got around to making pasta from scratch! It’s a time consuming process (especially if you don’t have a pasta machine) but I think the outcome was worth the effort. The first time I attempted to make a pasta dough, it fell apart on me. I was so disappointed because I was confident that it would be one of the easiest things to do.
I spent hours researching on tips and techniques on creating the perfect pasta dough and decided to give it another try. So one fine morning, 1AM to be exact, I started working on this recipe I found on the internet by the incredible Neil Perry. I’m so pleased with this recipe and have saved it in my recipe book. I’m looking forward to getting a pasta machine because this process took over 2 hours, including the resting and drying period.
The recipe doesn’t call for water but I had to use a couple of tablespoons to ”soften” up my dough. Of course, this would not apply to everyone. I also didn’t use a food processor to bind all of the ingredients together. I did it the traditional way, on a marble surface creating a well and working from there. Happy cooking!

Basic Pasta Dough
by Neil Perry


Ingredients:
400 g Plain Flour
4 free range Eggs
sea salt
water, optional


Directions:
Turn the flour on to the bench. Make a well in the middle and add the whisked eggs in to the well. Slowly incorporate the flour, using your hands and bring the dough together. Wrap in a clean tea towel and rest 20 minutes.


After 20 minutes, work the dough with your hands for about 5 to 10 minutes. Work it into a rectangular shape using a little extra flour. Open the pasta machine to the biggest setting and put the dough through.


Fold the dough into 3 after each turn then turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat the process. Roll the dough to about 2mm thick and hang over a broom stick to dry. When the pasta sheets are dry, they can be cut into the desired noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment