Monday, January 10, 2011

chocolate chip cookies



Smitten Kitchen is my absolute favorite food blog! Simple and yummy home cooking recipes. Always trust Deb to post mouth-watering photos and easy-to-follow recipes. Thanks Deb :)
I have tried a couple of chocolate chip cookie recipes and this has been my favorite so far. Yes, I’m still searching for that amazing, soft, chewy, chocolatey cookie. This is close enough though.
The only problem I had with this was my chocolate chips melting into the dough because I hadn’t refrigerated them before hand. So I pretty much ended up with a chocolate chocolate chip cookie. No big deal, still delicious. Maybe a little too sweet but I didn’t mind.

I under baked my cookie just a little bit because that’s how I like it, soft and chewy. When your cookie has taken on some (golden brown) color, insert a toothpick and make sure they’re still soft, don’t worry about them being a little “jiggly”, take them out and allow them cool, they will automatically harden once cooled. So if you’re looking for a soft and chewy cookie, don’t bake them all the way through in the oven. I promise you, it’s gooooood :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies
from The Great Book of Chocolate by David Lebovitz (via smitten kitchen)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (115 grams) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (Deb option)
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 300F (150C). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets. Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment