Monday, January 10, 2011

chocolate fudge cake



I was so lucky to have stumbled upon this recipe on Iron Chef Shellie’s website. I have been searching for a simple (yet delicious) cake to bake. This was my first time baking a cake from scratch so I wasn’t looking into the more complicated layer ones. Now that I’ve gotten an idea of how cake baking works, I’m hoping I can bring myself to bake a layer cake in the near future.


This makes a very moist chocolate cake with a cracked consistency on top (the reason why I added the word brownie). The first time I made this I had used salted butter to grease my pan so it had a mild salty after-taste, I have baked this cake a few times now and have learnt to use unsalted butter for greasing of pans. Common first time baker mistake?

I’m glad to say that the cake didn’t last a day! I was satisfied with the results and apparently everyone was too. I’ve baked this cake numerous times and the result has always been the same, delicious!



Chocolate Fudge Cake


Ingredients:
250g dark eating chocolate, chopped (I used Lindt)
125g butter, chopped
2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten 
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 9-inch square cake pan or line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above sides.

Heat the chocolate and butter in a medium bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the water to touch base of bowl). Set aside and let cool.

Mix the flour, sugar and eggs until well incorporated, you could do this with an electric mixer as well but I used a whisk and it turned out fine. Combine chocolate mixture and beat on low speed with an electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium; beat for 3 minutes or until mixture is changed in colour and smooth, it’s advisable to use an electric mixer for this as it takes quite a while.

Pour mixture into pan; bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake stand for about 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment