Friday, May 20, 2011

chocolate tart


This is the first time I have ever made a chocolate tart in my life and I can already tell this is my all time favorite classic chocolate tart recipe. I first saw this recipe being made on Masterchef Australia and immediately knew I had to give it a try.



I did go through a couple of problems. My dough wouldn't roll out and I think it was because I overworked the dough. I just needed to knead it enough until it came together but I kneaded it for way too long and it couldn't be rolled out smoothly. I'm not sure how it would have turned out if I had rolled out my dough because I thought this dough tasted great, almost perfect with an intense cocoa flavor and a crumbly shortbread(ish) texture. But I figured it would have looked smoother and possibly tasted lighter. 



The filling was absolutely perfect. So easy to whip up. Just a matter of combining all of the ingredients together. This tart is a perfect combination of creamy and crumbly. It's an all around perfect dish for a chocolate lover, it is literally chocolate perfection. Every inch of this dessert is covered in chocolate (duh). So delicious. I think it would have tasted better with an array of berries, such as raspberries and/or strawberries. Since this is a heavy and dense chocolate tart, the berries would have given the perfect acidity that it needed. 

Gotta give props to Matt Moran, the creator of this recipe. This is the signature dessert that is served in his Aria restaurant in Sydney. The original dessert consists of more than one (chocolate) element aside from the tart. It's already in my must-have list when I make a trip down under!!! 

Aria Chocolate Tart
by Matt Moran from Masterchef Australia (via spicy icecream)

Chocolate Pasrty:
320g plain flour
60g cocoa
160g caster sugar
160g cold unsalted butter, diced
2 eggs

Chocolate Tart Filling:
210g quality dark chocolate, chopped 
60g milk chocolate, chopped
60g unsalted butter
315ml cream
3 eggs
2 egg yolks

Directions:
To make the chocolate pastry, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, butter and a pinch of salt in a bowl of a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add eggs and process until dough starts to come together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough and gently knead until it starts to come together, do not over do it. Flatten into a disc shape and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.

Roll out the pastry about 3mm thick and. Line the base and sides of a removable tart tin with the pastry and trim out any excess. Place in the fridge for a further 15 minutes. Line the pastry with parchment paper and fill with beans, pie weights or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for another 5 minutes or until the dough is firm to the touch. Set aside.

To make the tart filling, preheat the oven to 160C (320F). Place the dark chocolate, milk chocolate and butter in a bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan until boiling. Take it off the heat and pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until smooth. Stir in eggs and yolks. Fill the tart shell with the chocolate filling. Bake the tart for 25 minutes or so, just as the edges start to set and the center is still quite wobbly. Cool tart to room temperature. Remove tart from the tin and cut into slices. 

1 comment:

  1. I just wanna take a big bite off this little baby and never swallow! :D

    ReplyDelete