Monday, January 10, 2011

peach shortbread



The only reason I made this was because of the incredible photos I saw on Smitten Kitchen. I told you, Deb never disappoints. Another great recipe.
I was quite nervous going into this because I had never baked with fruits before. And it was my first time making a shortbread. The thought of combining the butter into the flour and having it fall apart on me was painful. But thankfully, all went smooth and the result was great.

The only thing I wasn’t expecting was the slight loss of sweetness from the peaches after it was baked. I think it’s because peaches were not in season here so it might have been the peaches I picked. Hopefully, I will learn to pick better ones next time.
This recipe calls for brown butter or regular butter. I had never browned butter before. Heard a lot about the amazingness of brown butter so I had to get on it. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe because I was completely focused. I was nervous so I was extremely in the zone. You have to be when browning your butter because it can go from brown to burnt in a matter of seconds.
The shortbread itself was a success. It was crumbly, buttery and crisp with a hint of cinnamon. Exactly how I imagined it to be.

Peach Shortbread
from smitten kitchen
Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

227 grams cold unsalted butter

1 large egg

2 peaches, pitted and thinly sliced (around 1/8 and 1/4-inch thick)


Directions:
Brown your butter: Melt butter in a small/medium saucepan over medium-low heat. It will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty. Stir frequently. Keep your eyes on it; it burns very quickly after it browns. Set it in the freezer until solid (about 30 minutes).


Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 9×13 inch pan. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt and spices with a whisk. Use a pastry blender, fork or your fingertips to blend the solidified brown butter and egg into the flour mixture. It will be crumbly. Pat 3/4 of the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing firmly. Tile peach slices over crumb base in a single layer. Scatter remaining crumbs evenly over peaches and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until top is slightly brown and you can see a little color around the edges. Cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment